Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"So... Why the Vague Prayer Request?" THANKSGIVING UPDATE


“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you,  always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy,  because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.  And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.  It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.” Philippians 1:3-7.

As we approach Thanksgiving Day this week, I cannot help but to be thankful for our ministry partners and especially for God’s answers to the prayers that you lift up for our family and ministry at Narrow Gate Asia.  About three weeks ago, I posted on FaceBook that our family needed your prayers, and many of you asked what was going on.  I was not yet ready to respond at that time because I myself did not have my hands around the situation.  I do thank you though for praying.  Throughout that day, my phone would beep and vibrate and I knew minute by minute that people around the globe were lifting us up in prayer.  We have so many things to be thankful for, and this email update shares testimony of God’s Goodness in the midst of struggle.  Please read, and know that we are lifting up prayers of thanksgiving for you today.


Our family had the blessing of hosting John and Will Babler from Birchman Baptist Church in Fort Worth for several days three weeks ago.  I have been so excited about this trip because John is our Missions Pastor from back in TX, he was one of my professors from Seminary, serves on the board of Narrow Gate, and much more than that … The Babler family members are close friends. 

A constant theme as we shared our ministry with them was the importance of “Relationships in the Community”.  Without people living and working with us and around us that know and love us, our work here would not be possible.  As we look at the vision of Narrow Gate, it is the relationships that our business builds with people (both Christian and Lost) that make it possible to serve the Lord and see His Kingdom grow in North Thailand.  We have told stories in the past about the village head-man, about Brawoot the Goat Farmer, and of course our staff.  We have shared stories about people that we interact with in the markets, our vendors and our customers.  We have talked about our Thai friends who care for us and serve with us, and also about the foreign community where we connect as well.  Our ministry and business are built upon the foundation of these relationships and they define who we are and how we do ministry. 

Because of these relationships, God is helping us to focus our ministry and our project to position Narrow Gate to be more effective than ever before, and in that, the Lord is affirming more strongly than ever that He has established our house and ministry on the basis of our relationship with HIM.  Over the past several months we have shared with you many challenges that we have faced.  These have been related to Land, Farm Logistics, health, Weather, Family Struggles, and many others that are a part of simply living life.  I am convinced that our struggles are evidence of the spiritual warfare that we are under and I do not take the concept of “war” lightly.  That said we have to accept that God is working among the challenges to help us see more clearly than ever that He alone is in control of our family and our ministry.  And in that … WE GIVE THANKS!

So… why such vague request for prayer?



On Tuesday afternoon November 4, as I visited with Pastor John, I told him I wondered if I should sell milk that day.  I would love to have time to spend with him, but also know that we need to sell the milk to cover our farm operational cost.  Half joking, and half serious he said that decision was between me and God and I knew the right choice was to pick up milk from the farm and sell at the local market that day.  I loaded the cart and John and Will walked to the market with me to sell milk.  I sold to several regulars as I walked through the market and then proceeded to my usual spot at the front corner where I have sold our goat milk for the past 2 ½ years. 

A lady purchased some milk, quickly followed by another man and what appeared to be several friends.  One seemed  especially interested as he was taking a video of the sale.  After I made change, the man presented a badge and asked me for my ID.  A quick discussion of who I was and what I was doing ensued and the next thing I knew, I was being arrested for participating in “Prohibited activities for a foreigner”.  I was quickly whisked away by the police and detained at the local police station.  Lots of officers were there.  Several taking pictures while others wrote reports to document my milk sales activities.  I was very confused because our farm has permission to produce and sell Goat Milk and shortly after when I tried to clarify what was going on, I was read my rights and advised to contact my attorney.  I was in custody for about six hours before I was released on bail.  During this time I was under constant surveillance and questioned continually. This was a time of intense frustration, anxiety, and fear because I had no idea what the outcome would be.  I was told that this offense can carry fines and time in jail.


This was a planned arrest, as they were prepared before-hand for me to arrive.  It turns out that they came all the way from Chiang Mai specifically for this arrest rather than the local authorities who we would think.  Someone apparently with some influence in the department had notified them of my selling in the market.  Now my attorney is now preparing documents for my upcoming court date.

As my attorney drove me home, he told me, knowing that I was upset that “The Lord is in Control, Harry!” And he shared with me three examples of where he saw God working in my relationships during this situation.

1.     Tanaay Chatree, my attorney who has served us and our farm for years was available to come and was given permission to receive me into his personal custody by the police.
2.    The Police Colonel, knew me from the market and community and after the three arresting officers from immigration left, he rewrote with my attorney’s assistance all of the arresting documents to reflect me and our family’s service to the community and Thai People in a positive light. (Incidentally after my release, he told me his wife has a store and he wants to sell our milk in his store.)
3.    And… We did not have the 50,000 Thai Baht for Bail, so we asked a Thai Buddhist friend to loan it to us.  She not only brought the money, but she stood in the gap for us and spoke very highly of our work, service to the community in education and agriculture, and about how our family has come to Thailand because we truly love the Thai people. 

Attny. Chatree told me that had God not provided those relationships specifically with Thai people, at that time, I would have been in Jail right now.  The police would not have accepted money or my word, for fear I might flee.

In the past three weeks, God has provided for us in unique and amazing ways.  We have added 7 NEW SALES LOCATIONS to sell our milk!  We have made many new relationships with shop owners and business as a result of being out in a new sector of the market, and God is already opening doors to share the Gospel with these vendors, new customers, and He is taking our relationships with our Thai friends even deeper as we testify to them about God’s goodness in a situation that could appear very bad.  This arrest could have shut us down, but Rather, God is using it to open the door to the Gospel and to encourage us, affirm His call in us, and to give to us a peace that can only be explained through Jesus!

God has given us His Son Jesus, so that we might restore our broken relationship with God our Father.  Our entire ministry is based upon relationships and it is these Thai relationships, that have sustained us and that God has used to encourage us.

We are also thankful for God’s Provision for our Family and our Ministry.  Living by Faith and serving with a small Mission gives us many opportunities to see God show Himself as our Jehovah Jireh, our provider.  As we approach Thanksgiving, the Christmas Season and year-end, we are often in a position of planning and reflection upon not only what we are grateful for and about how God guide us in using the resource He has provided to serve and help expand the Kingdom of God.  We ask that you prayerfully consider how you can be a part of Narrow Gate Asia through your special or monthly financial contribution. 

All contributions to Narrow Gate Asia are tax deductible, and can be sent via check to our PO Box or Online via Paypal.  For assistance with special contributions through trusts, savings plans, foundations, real estate, like kind donations, etc., please contact me at hbrittan@narrowgateasia.org and we can help to facilitate these transactions .


Year-End Specific Financial Needs for the Brittan Family and Narrow Gate Asia:
  • Personal and Ministry Monthly Support - $2,500 per month.
  • School Tuition at Chiang Rai Int. Christian School - $4,000 per year.
  • Land Purchase for NGA Outreach Project - $75,000 usd (We praise God for the 33% already paid this year)
  • Legal Expenses. TBD
Continue to be in Prayer:
  • Upcoming court date for sentencing December 12 (Tentative)
  • Upcoming Christmas Program for nearly 600 students and parents in Mae Sai where we will share the gospel and birth of Jesus.
  • Pray for Peace in and through our family.
God has given us a Huge Vision for the relationships that He has given us in Thailand so that our friends will have a relationship with the one true God!  It is our faith in our relationships with you, and the Faith that God has in His relationship with us that gives us the power and encouragement to pursue this Vision.  We look forward to and Thank God for how His Kingdom with come and Will be done our lives through you and through Narrow Gate Asia.

God Bless, and Thank you.
Harry, Pattie, Hattie, Emma, Harry V, and Nellie.
 
Send Letters and Tax Deductible Contributions to:

Narrow Gate Asia
P.O. Box 260275
Plano, TX 75026-0275 USA

Please use this link to go direct to PayPal:

Contact us on Facebook, or at hbrittan@narrowgateasia.org 

No comments: